if you <3 the XKCD comics as much as I do, you’ll be glad to know that the official font,
made public in here: github.com/ipython/xkcd-font
The official xkcd font, as used on xkcd.com and the April 1st, 2013 generated comic.
The original font file comes from @randallmunroe, the original font author and xkcd webcomic author. Yes, it’s his handwriting. He gave us permission and hopes we fix the pesky kerning.
(Credit to xkcd)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 License.
Please edit the xkcd.sfd file, which can be opened with FontForge, an open-source font editor. We’ll periodically regenerate the OTF file from this, to avoid editing conflicts.
- generating Font Formats: TrueType, WOFF, WOFF2, EOT Lite, EOT Compressed, SVG
- keeping the existing Truetype Hinting
- on Rendering, I’ve selected the following
- Fix Vertical Metrics (Normalize across browsers)
- Fix GASP Table (Better DirectWrite Rendering)
- Remove Kerning (Strip kerning data)
- Fix Missing Glyphs: for Spaces and Hyphens
- Some X-height Matching — Resize to match Arial font’s x-height
- With Basic Subsetting (Used For Western languages)
- Including All OpenType’s substitution glyphs that match Basic Subset.
- Adding Some OpenType Flattening Feature – Caps to Small-Caps since its uni-glyph
this is the result
click below to try out the pure-base64 version of the webkit (no file download!)